Monday, March 11, 2013

The things they say ... Instalment #3

In case you had forgotten; I do have children other than Boo :-P

The reason he gets mentioned so frequently? Simply put, he is home more than his older siblings, which means I get to spend more time with him.

But the other Minions of Chaos are just as entertaining as their littlest brother.

Teenagers are interesting creatures. They can come across as morose, brooding, even.

They sometimes prefer to give off the impression that they don't want or need you around.

But the truth is, they really do; they put up a prickly exterior as if to see if you truly do love them, warts and all.

There's a trick to getting teenagers to talk- usually it involves getting them alone, and often, somewhere NOT AT HOME. Privacy is key.  I have found that some of the best conversations I've had with my teenagers have taken place while we were in the car.

A recent conversation with The Teenaged Son (aka "The Viking") went as follows;

"Mum, how old was Tigger when she got a debit card?"

(I had to ponder this for a minute or two)

"Hmm, about your age, I guess ... Why do you ask, are you wanting a debit card yourself?"

"Yeah ... "

Now, I'm not saying I'm opposed to him having a debit card, but it's a good idea to be fully aware of the motivation behind some requests ...

"Okay, and why do you want one?"

"Well, because having a debit card kind of makes it easier to pay for things when you're out on a date or stuff like that; you know, as an example."

"Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

(pause)

"So ... is there someone in particular you had in mind for this hypothetical date?"

"Maayybeee ..."

:sniffle:  What happened to my little boy who liked to cuddle on the couch while watching "Little House on the Prairie"?!

They grow up far too quickly ...

No comments:

Post a Comment